sábado, marzo 17, 2007

Saul, how should I feel about Picasso?

Six seconds passed, and then he said, “God put him on Earth to show us what it’s like to be really rich.”
I said, “Saul, I am a novelist, and many of my friends are novelists and good ones, but when we talk I keep feeling we are in two very different businesses. What makes me feel that way?”
Six seconds passed, and then he said, “It’s very simple. There are two sorts of artists, one not being in the least superior to the other. But one responds to the history of his or her art so far, and the other responds to life itself.”
I said, “Saul, are you gifted?”
Six seconds passed, and then he growled, “No, but what you respond to in any work of art is the artist’s struggle against his or her limitations.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Gugú piensa que...

fragmento del último libro de K.Vonnegut, "A Man Without a Country"
(Un Man Sin un País)

17/3/07 1:50 a.m.  
Blogger FrobozzElectric piensa que...

Ahh! Me encanta Kurt Vonnegut. Te gusta "A Man Without a Country"? No lo he leido.

17/3/07 8:09 p.m.  
Blogger Gugú piensa que...

Si, me gustó, es muy autobiográfico y personal.

18/3/07 2:53 a.m.  
Blogger FrobozzElectric piensa que...

Ahhh! Voy a comprarlo, por cierto.

19/3/07 4:59 p.m.  
Blogger sinonimo piensa que...

quien es saul?

20/3/07 2:19 a.m.  
Blogger Gugú piensa que...

"Who was the wisest person I ever met in my entire life? It was a man, but of course it needn't have been. It was the graphic artist Saul Steinberg, who like everybody else I know, is dead now. I could ask him anything, and six seconds would pass, and then he would give me a perfect answer, gruffly, almost a growl. He was born in Romania, in a house where, according to him, "the geese looked in the windows"."

20/3/07 3:50 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home